No. 550 Squadron (RAF) during the Second World War
Aircraft - Locations - Group and Duty - Books
No.550 Squadron was a Lancaster squadron that formed part of Bomber Command's main force from its formation in November 1943 until the end of the war. The squadron was formed on 25 November 1943 around C Flight, No.100 Squadron, and was thus able to become operational immediately.
The squadron took part in Bomber Command's strategic bombing offensive, flying 3,582 sorties in 192 separate raids. Fifty nine aircraft were lost in combat, a comparatively low total for a heavy bomber squadron.
After the end of the war the squadron was used on trooping flights to Italy, before being disbanded on 31 October 1945.
October 1943-October 1945: Avro Lancaster III
November 1943-January 1944: Grimsby
January 1944-October 1945: North Kilingholme
Squadron Codes: BQ
1943-1945: Heavy Bomber squadron, Bomber Command
1943-1945: No.1 Group; Bomber Command
Bookmark this page: Delicious Facebook StumbleUpon